Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fusible Applique

Hi

Last week I shared how to do "Needle-Turn Applique."   Today I am going to share how to do "Fusible Web Applique."  This is my favorite applique technique.  It is an easy, quick, and accurate method.   Pieces are cut without having to turn under the seam allowance.  The only extra supply you will need is the fusible webbing.  Fusible web can be bought at most fabric stores, like JoAnn's.   I buy my fusible by the yard.  I like a fusible that is thin, but not so thin that it tears easily.

Directions


1.  Feel the webbing.  There is a smooth side and a "dotted" side. You want to trace your cut  pattern pieces on the smooth side, with either a permanent fabric marker or a pencil.  You want to make sure you leave plenty of space between the pattern pieces, between 3/4" and 1".  If your pattern has any dashed lines, also trace them.







2.  Roughly cut the pattern pieces out.  You want more than 1/2" between each piece.





3.  Pin the fusible web pieces on the fabric.  Roughly cut out.





 4.  Using a small running stitch sew on the line.  Sew all the way around the piece.  If your piece goes underneath another piece, you can leave the part that is covered open.


 5.  Cut the pieces out using a scant 1/4" seams allowance.  If your pattern has many curves, you might want to do some clipping.








6.  If your piece has an opening, gently turn it inside out through the opening.  If your piece is closed, gently pull the webbing away from the fabric and make a small slit. Gently turn right side out through the slit. Gently poke the points with a pointer tool.   If your pattern has more than one piece, put this away until you have all your pieces complete





7.    Your applique is now ready to sew on your background fabric.  I sew it down with a blind stitch   I prefer to sew my pieces down before I press them.  This is because it is easier to remove hand stitching, than it is to remove fabrics that have been fused together.






I hope that my directions for how to do applique have been helpful.

Janie

1 comment: