Monday, July 9, 2012

Alphabet Quilt & Needle-Turn Applique

Hi

My family is watching the baseball Home Run Derby so I thought I would add something new to my blog.
A few months ago I made an alphabet baby quilt.   My daughter teaches preschool and ask if she could have it for her class room.   Here are a few pictures of the quilt and her students playing on it.


The quilt around the doll is also one that I made.

Hand Applique

In the next couple of post I thought I would share with you some ways to hand applique.  There are the two methods that I have used for applique. The two methods are needle-turn and fusible web applique.    Instead of doing them all at once I thought I would do one each time.  The first one that I am going to teach you is



Needle Turn Applique



Needle turn applique is the most traditional form of applique.   You need no additional supplies  than a needle and thread.   It is the method that you will want to use for very narrow or small pieces


Directions

1.  Trace your pattern.  You can use many different kinds of material.  It can be traced on paper, light cardboard, or freezer paper.  If using freezer paper trace the pattern on the unwaxed(dull) side.  If the patterns are directional, reverse them.  Cut out the templates on the traced lines.  If you are using a pattern that you can cut out, you can skip this step.


2.  Place your templates on the right side of your chosen fabric.  Leave at least 3/4 of an inch between each piece, if tracing more than one piece.




    If you are using paper or cardboard templates, you will want to pin or baste them to the fabric, so they don't slip.   For freezer paper templates, place the shiny side down on the right side of the fabric, using a dry iron attach them to the fabric


3.  Using a pencil trace around each template on your fabric.  If you have a dark fabric, you will want to use a white or yellow pencil.  You could also you a disappearing or washable fabric maker.   I like the disappearing maker best because if you have to put your project away the line will not disappear.






4.  Cut around the applique, adding a scant 1/4" seam allowance all around.  Remove the applique template from the fabric.





5.  Position the applique pieces on the background fabric and pin or baste in place.  If your applique has layers to it, after you have seen how you want your pieces to look remove the top pieces and sew down the bottom piece first .




6.  Now you are ready to start sewing. Start at a straight area on one edge of the applique, use the tip on the needle to turn under the seam allowance.  Do about 1/2" at a time.  Clip the seam allowance as needed in curved areas.  Sew in place using a "blind stitch".   Your thread should match your applique fabric.









7.  If your applique is layered you want to add each layer and sew in the same way you did the first piece.




I will be sharing  fusible web applique is a future blog.

Janie






1 comment:

  1. I was just searching for tips on needle turn appliqué and found your blog. :) Nice, well-written instructions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete