Monday, October 8, 2012

Snowball Block

Hi

The other day I showed  you all how to make a Wonky Nine Patch block which is going to be part of my reversible "Quilt As You Go"  baby quilt.   The other block in my quilt is the Snowball Block.  This is a very easy block to make. 





Directions

1.  Cut a large square  in your print fabric.   The square will be cut to the size you want plus 1/2 inch.   I wanted this block to be the same size as my Wonky Nine Patch so I  cut my squares 9 1/2 inches.  I cut 20 squares since that was the amount I needed for my quilt.



2.  Cut 4 small squares from a white fabric.   The way to calculate the size of the small squares used to make the corner triangles:  Take the desired size of the finished block (for my block that is 9 inches) divide it by three.  Add 1/2  to that and you will have the size of your smaller corner squares.  My squares were 3 1/2 inches.





3.   Fold your small squares in half diagonally (making a triangle) and press to make a line to sew on.  You can also do this step by drawing a diagonal line or just eyeballing it while you sew.




4.   Pin your smaller squares to the four corners of your larger block right sides together.  Make sure that the line that you made is running perpendicular to the corners. 




What I did to make sure that they were placed correctly, I folded over the top triangle to make sure it was right.   I did this a few times until I got the hang of it. 








5.  Sew on the creased or drawn line on all four small squares.






6.  Fold the top triangle toward the corner and press with the iron.  Do this is all four corner.






7.   You will have three layers of fabric in the corner of your blocks.  Gentle fold the top layer back and cut the other two layers away leaving about a 1/4 inch.   Some people cut away their extra layers before they press.   I like to wait to make sure the corner triangles are even with the larger square.   If they are not I want to be able to remove them and sew them correctly.   If I have already cut away my extra before I check,  I would have to make my squares all over again. 

As you can see in the picture above the left corner is folded back , but not cut.  The right corner has been cut away.  

Here is a picture of my Snowball blocks


























No comments:

Post a Comment