Friday, October 5, 2012

Preview of work

Hi

It's been almost a month since I last posted.   I have been busy with several different projects, but haven't completed any of them.   I am hand quilting an alphabet quilt.  I am about half way done.   I also have been working on my first Quilt As You Go  quilt.   I have my blocks all made and quilted.  I just need to join my blocks.    Here is a picture of my two blocks

The block on the left is a "Snowball" block.  The one on the right is a Wonky Nine Patch

I think that instead of waiting until the quilt is complete, I will show you how to do each step in a different post.   The first block I will be showing you is the Wonky Nine Patch.   The reason I did this block first is because if it comes out bigger or smaller than you anticipated the snowball quilt is easier to make any size.

Wonky Nine Patch

1.  Cut your fabric - You will need to decide how many blocks you will be using  and what size your finished block will be.   My quilt is going to be 4 blocks by 5 blocks and the block will each be 9 inches finished.  The blocks need to be cut at least 2 1/2 inches larger than you finished size.  So I cut my blocks 11 1/2 inches.

I didn't always remember to take a picture working on the same square so they will not always be the same fabric.

2.  Stack your squares and  make a diagonal cut.   You want to be at least 1.5 inches from the bottom edge.






You will do this with all 20 squares.  You probably will not be able not be able to cut all 20 blocks at the same time.  So you will need to work no fewer than 4 squares at a time - going through all the steps or try your best to keep your cuts the same.


 3.  Take the smaller wedges and mix them up.   The two most common ways of doing that is either to flip over your pile or put the top wedge on the bottom.



4.  Take the wedge you have on top and sew it with a 1/4 seam allowance to the block on top.  Your two fabrics should be different.   You will now have a square again.


5.  Cut a wedge is the same way on the other side.   You will repeat steps 3 and 4





6.  Press your blocks.  The instructions I read was to press them toward the middle.   I found out later that it really didn't matter what way you pressed.  What you want is for your block to be flat.

7.  Turn your block so the narrow part of the middle section is on the right.  Make a wedge cut like you did previously.   I realized after that I was a little narrow on the top on my wedge.  Be careful you have the narrow part of your wedge at least  1.5 inches.  1.75 is even better.


8. Mix the wedges and sew a new wedge to the larger piece.   You want your seams to match so you will want to nest your seam. pin and sew. 

It is at this point that you need to be really careful that your cuts are all the same.  If not they don't want to match up. 

9.  Repeat  with the final side.







10.  Square up your blocks.   That means to make sure they are a perfect square to the size you want.  For me that would be 9 1/2 inch.





This is how you make a wonky nine patch.  I am putting mine aside while I make my snowball block which will go  on the other side of my quilt.   But if you only made this block it could easily be made into a quilt.

My next post will show how to make the Snowball Block.

No comments:

Post a Comment