Saturday, October 13, 2012

Half-Square & Quarter Square Triangles

Hi

I am still working on my Quilt As You Go.   I need to finish sewing down the sashing on the back and adding borders.   I wasn't sure if the quilt needed to have borders, but have decided to add them.

While I am waiting to add more on my Quilt As You Go (QAYG) I thought I would share with you a few different ways to make a "half-square triangle" block.   I am going to show you how to make 2,4 and 8 at a time.    I am also going to show you how to make quarter square triangles.

Making 2 half-square triangles - The Drawn Line Method

1.  Cut 2 squares of contrasting fabric   The formula for this is add 1 inch to the unfinished size of your squares.   For example if your square is 3 1/2 inches unfinished you will cut your squares 4 1/2 inches






2.  Place your two squares right sides together

3.  Draw a diagonal time








4.  Sew 1/4 inch on both sides of the diagonal line




5.  Cut of the diagonal line






6.  Open and press to the dark

7.  Trim the block to the desired size.   You can do this block by add 7/8 rather than 1 inch, but I like the extra size in case I am not precise in my sewing or cutting.


Making 4 Triangles at a time

 1.  Cut two rectangles from contrasting fabric.  The length is is the unfinished size x 2 + 1.   For example if your unfinished square is 3.5 - it would be 3.5 x 2 + 1 =8
The width is 1/2 the length.  So if the unfinished square is 3.5 the length would be four.   I f you want you could add an extra 1/4 inch.  Which would make the length 8 1/4 and the width 4 1/8th




2.  Draw a line down the middle of the length of the rectangle.   Then draw 2 diagonal lines  from the center line to the outer corners





3.  Just like you did above sew 1/4 inch on both sides of the two diagonal line.


4.  Cut along the middle line.   Making 2 squares.






5.  Cut on the diagonal line of both squares. 

6.  You have four half square triangles.   Press to the dark and trim to desired size.






There is another method for making 4 HST by Jenny Doan from the Missouri Star Quilt Company.  Instead of me copy what she does here is a link to her tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5_Y5aanFwM


Making 8 Half-Square Triangle (HST)

1.  Cut 2 squares in contrasting fabric.   The squares are unfinished size x2 + 1.   (This is the same as the length above)  example - 3 1/2 unfinished square x 2 + 1 = 8

2.   Draw two diagonal lines making an X




3.  Sew 1/4 inch on both sides of the diagonal lines.


4.   Cut the large square through the middle in both directions.  You will have 4 smaller squares.






5.  Cut the diagonal line in all 4 small squares.


6.  You now have 8 HST.   Press to the dark and trim to desired size.

Quarter Square Triangle.

Once you know how to make a HST a Quarter Square triangle is very easy

1.  Make  2 HST using any method you want.





2.  Place squares with right sides together and opposite fabric touching.  For example with the squares above have the blue touching the white and the white touching the blue.





3.  Draw a diagonal line.   This line will be in the opposite direction from the previous line.


4.  Sew 1/4 inch on both sides of the diagonal line. 

5.  Cut of the diagonal line


6.  Press and trim






I forgot to take a picture when I was done, but here are two pictures from a block that I made with this quarter square triangle
























No comments:

Post a Comment