Tuesday, April 9, 2013

More Alphabet Letters

Hi

I have more letters that I have done since my last post.   I am not going to write directions for each block since many are done the same way.   Are you two methods when I do applique.  One is needle turn and the other is using fusible web.   I covered on an earlier post how to do each of thesehttp://appliquequiltdesigns.blogspot.com/2012_07_01_archive.html.  If this link doesn't work you can find the directions in July 2012.  

Letter B- Bee



1.  Last month I covered what size my letters where.   Trace the letter on yellow fabric.

2.  Cut out leaving a 1/4 inch border


3.   To make the strips for the Bee you need to cut a strip of black fabric.  I cut my strip 12 inches by 5/8.  You make this the same way you make vines, but you don't need to cut on the bias since they are small pieces.   Fold the pieces in half and sew with a scant quarter inch.  Trim fabric close to the seam   After sewing turn it so the seam is in the middle and press.  If you have  bias bars they are good to use.  If not be very careful and you press.




 4.  Decide how many stripes you want on your Bee and where you want them.  Cut them so that they are a little longer than the letter.    Sew them down on the letter B. 

5.  Next make the wings.   For those I made 2 extra copy of my B pattern.  I cut each wing from a different copy since they over lapped.  I made them about a little longer so that they would go under the yellow letter B.  I traced them onto black fabric.  I cut them out with a 1/4 inch border.

 

6.  Pin the letter B on your back ground fabric.  Pin the wings in place making sure that they are tucked under the letter.  Using needle turn applique sew down the B.  It doesn't matter where you start.  When you get to the wings sew them first and then go back and sew down the B in that area.

7.  Next sew on the face.   I used an small X for the eyes and  a small horizontal stitch for the nose.  For the mouth and antenna I used a back stitch.




8.  The Letter B for Bee block is finished



Z for Zebra





You will make the Z -Zebra the same way you made the B.   If your stripes don't go all  the way across you need to tuck in the ends.




S for Snake





I made the snake the same way I did the other letters.   The only difference is that the eyes were so small I had trouble doing needle turn applique so I used felt instead.
Making eyes-  Cut the two eyes out of felt.   Using a permanent glue, glue them down on the letter.  With embroidery floss mark the eyes.  With threat to match the felt sew around the edge.   I use both the glue and stitches to make sure it stays on.   Below are the glues I used.



Here is the finished S for Snake



M is for Mouse



1.  Stitch down the M




2.  I used felt for the eyes, ears and nose.   I did it the same way I did for the mouse. 

3.   For the whiskers I used embroidery floss and did a back stitch.





I will be adding more letters so keep a watch out for them


Here is another quilt I just finished called Three Little Fishes.   I got the idea from a member of the Quilting Board.   http://www.quiltingboard.com/.  I don't have directions for this since I didn't remember to do pictures as I went along. 




No comments:

Post a Comment