Sunday, December 30, 2012

Chicken Noodle Cassarole

Hi

I thought that I would share some recipes with you.   This recipe is very easy and very popular.   All of my children (who are now adults) friends love it.

This recipe can feed 8-10 people

Ingredients

4 large boneless skinless chicken breast.
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
milk - 1 soup can
Swanson's Chicken Broth - 33% less sodium.  (Since I am using salt on my chicken  I prefer the low sodium broth)
Cheese - Cheddar - or I like Sargento 4 Mexican cheese.
Salt & Pepper - to taste (I don't measure my seasoning)
Dried or Fresh herbs.   - Any will work - I like to use dill, parsley, basil  & oregano
Egg Noodles
Potato Chips

I forgot to put the cheese, chips and noodles in the picture.

Directions
 Preheat oven to 400degrees

1.  Pound your chicken breast so they are thinner and cook faster.   This step is optional but it will help the chicken to cook more quickly.  An easy way to pound chicken is to put it in a zip lock bag with a little water. Pound the chicken in the bag.

2.  Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet

3. Season one side of the breast with salt, pepper and herbs.   I usually use dried herbs but you could you fresh.  Place season side down in frying pan.  Do not crowd the pan.  Fry the chicken in batches if needed.



4.  Season the other side.

5.  Turn chicken over when browned and then brown the second side.  






6.  When breast are browned on both sides remove and cook the other breast in the same way.

7.  Return all breast to the pan.  Add chicken broth.  You just need a little bit in the bottom of the pan.   About 1/4 of an inch.  Put a lid on the pan and cook on low until the chicken is cooked through.  This takes about 5 minutes.  I check to see if its done by making a cut in the thickest part of the largest chicken.  It the chicken is white not pink I know its down.

8.  When chicken is cooked through remove from pan

9.   Add the 2 cans of cream of chicken soup to the broth.   Stir in one can of milk.  (If you can making a smaller or larger batch the ratio is 1/2 milk to soup - e.g. 1 can of soup you would use 1/2 can of milk).

10 Heat the sauce.   Optional things I have added is a splash of wine and small amount of sour cream.  It is good with or without these.



11  Cut chicken into bite size pieces.

12.  While you are making the sauce boil egg noodles







 13.  Drain noodles and add to sauce.   I usually add the sauce to the pan I cooked the noodles in since its larger and I can mix them more easily.  Add chicken and stir.   I love cheese so I usually add some now are well as on top.

14.  Put the chicken & noodles in a casserole dish and add cheese on top.



15.  Cook for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.

16. Remove from over and add crushed potato chips.  I usually crush the chips while my dish is cooking.

17.  Return to over for 5 minutes to brown chips



I hope you enjoy this casserole.

* It is important than you saute your chicken breast and than you don't boil or buy chicken all ready cooked at the store.   It is the seasoning that is in the pan when you add your sauce that gives it so much flavor. 





No comments:

Post a Comment